Today we’ve partnered with Mediterranean Delicacies to bring you a twist on the South African favourite dessert, Peppermint Crisp Tart.
As a child, I always had a love for the caramel chocolate mint combination of this dessert. I love creamy desserts and this was such an easy one to make for my young hands. That said, I searched through my South African recipe books and couldn’t find one recipe for Peppermint Crisp Tart. I’m not sure how I learnt to make it!
These days I’ve added a few new touches to make the dessert a little more modern. Some days I replace the key ingredient of Peppermint Crisp with Mint Aero. I use different biscuits and have even experimented with adding fruit (blackberries are my favourite!). I love serving it in individual portions when I need it to be a little “fancier”.
One of my favourite products under the Mediterranean Delicacies brand is halva. This is a dessert from the Middle East made from sesame seeds and honey. I find halva satisfies the sweet tooth but doesn’t send you into a sugar coma. The texture is something different – a combination of light and airy with soft and grainy. Besides eating it as is, I’ve only had it in a halva mousse. I thought it would be fun to use the concept of the mousse and add a little South African flavour, turning it into a Peppermint Crisp tart style dessert.
It was a hit! One portion didn’t survive the photo shoot! The Cocoa Halva combined with a swirl of caramel and the minty chocolate is just delicious. I made individual portions in glasses which I served after dinner. You’re welcome to make a big tart and serve from the dish when required.
- 250ml fresh cream
- 100g Mediterranean Delicacies Cocoa Halva
- 80ml caramel
- ½ packet tennis biscuits, crushed
- 150g Peppermint Crisp, crushed
- In a bowl, whip the cream until stiff.
- Break the halva into pieces and whip into the cream.
- In a separate bowl, stir the caramel to soften it.
- Spoon the caramel into the halva cream mix and gently stir through. You don't want it to mix too well.
- In a glass jar or dish, pack a layer of tennis biscuits.
- Top with the halva cream mixture. Leave some to top with.
- Add a layer of Peppermint Crisp. Save half for the topping.
- Top with the remaining halva cream.
- Finish with the remaining Peppermint Crisp.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, until set
This post was sponsored by Mediterranean Delicacies.