Good grilled beef and thick melted cheese – burger bliss! Tomorrow, 28 May, is International Burger Day. That has to be one of our favourite days! And to celebrate, we’re indulging in a classic Cheeseburger. Ok, we’re adding chopped sundried tomato but this is to boost the cheese flavor.
The key to a good cheeseburger is the cheese (well, duh!) – a strong flavorful cheese that melts well makes all the difference. Pair your cheese with a good beef burger, fresh salad ingredients and you have a winner!
We used white cheddar and smoked gouda – winning! We chopped up sundried tomato and it paired beautifully.
Other cheeses we recommend: goat’s cheese, gruyere, provolone, brie, blue, emmental. Of course, the sky is the limit and you can try any combination of flavours.
Tag us on Instagram if you’re enjoying a burger on International Burger Day (or any other day!)
- 500g beef mince.
- 60g breadcrumbs
- 10ml 2tsp chopped herbs (thyme, basil, parsley or rosemary
- 5ml (1tsp) cayenne pepper
- 2.5 ml (1/2) tsp salt
- 2.5 ml (1/2) braai spice
- To assemble burgers:
- 4 rolls (plain)
- Rocket leaves or Butter lettuce
- Sliced fresh tomato
- Slices of cheddar and smoked Gouda
- Chopped sundried tomato
- For your burgers, mix all the ingredients together. Try not to mix too much as you want to keep the fatty aspect of the meat. Shape into four equal size burgers.
- Sear on a hot fire or cook in a little oil in a heavy based pan. The ideal burger should be slightly crispy on the outside but still juicy on the inside.
- Just as the burger is cooked, add the cheese and allow it t melt before serving
- Use the pan or fire to lightly toast the inside of your hamburgers rolls.
- Assemble your burgers and serve with your favourite side - french fries perhaps?